Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Sometimes I Just Don't Know...When To PARTY


One of the parables Jesus told His disciples has been on my mind a lot recently. It is found in Luke chapter 15. It is the parable of The Lost Son. It is a story about a boy who asks his father for his inheritance early, goes and wastes it all, then comes back to his father and is forgiven. I never really use to pay attention to  this story before. I always used to shrug it off thinking "This does not apply to me, I have been a Christian my whole life, I have never been 'lost'"

I always use to see myself as the other brother in this story, the older brother who stayed home and kept working. I would always observe new believers from the sidelines, I would never celebrate their return to Christ. Until recently, I was reading this chapter and the story just before this about the woman who loses her coin caught my attention.

The Parable of The Lost Coin is about how a woman, when she lost her money, searched for it then rejoiced when she found it. At the end of this Jesus says: " In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.” (Luke 15:10). 

This is when I realized that there is a party in heaven every time someone returns to God. 

Then why am I so reluctant to party for them too? Because "...All these years I have been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders..." (Luke 15:29). This was when I had a "duh" moment. I was bitter. I did not realize that there WAS a party for me too. 

The day I accepted Christ, the day I returned home there was a party for me. When I was 17 at winter camp and recommitted my life to Christ there was a party for me! 

And there was a party for you too! Or maybe there is a party waiting to be thrown for you.

So I encourage you to join with me in not accepting the "older brother" mentality. Let's join with the Heaven's and PARTY when the lost come to know Christ. Because, after all, we too were once lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment