Wednesday, October 21, 2015

It's More Then Just A Season

If you know me at all you know that I LOVE Christmas!!! Some would say I even have OCD (Obsessive Christmas Disorder).

I love anything to do with the Christmas season; snow, warm mittens, Christmas movies, Christmas lights, eggnog latte', picking a Christmas tree.... The list could go on for pages.

I love Christmas so much that in July my sister's and I have a day where we decorate and watch Christmas movies, for a full day!

But what is it about Christmas that I love SOOO much. Why do I have OCD?

It's not the gifts, it's not the snow, it's not the music, although I did start listening to Christmas music at the beginning of this month. ;) It's the warm fuzzies I get whenever I think about Christmas. It's the feeling of happiness. I think Dr. Seuss explained this best:

“Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!”

I get the warm fuzzies because when I hear songs like "peace on earth good will to men" I think of a baby. When I see Christmas lights on houses late at night, I think of the light of the world. When I look to the top of our tree and see the picture of Jesus we place there, I can't help but be overwhelmed with joy. 

I know what that something more is that the Grinch saw, I think of Jesus.  I think of my family sitting around the tree every Christmas reading the story of the birth of Jesus. I think of the baby who was born and put in a manger, who grew up and died on a cross for my sins, for your sins. I think of a man who was willing to die so I could spend eternity in heaven. It's more than the decorations, the presents or the songs for me.

So when I start listening to Christmas music in October, it's not because I want to skip to Christmas day. It's because I can't wait to reflect on what Jesus did for me. I want to remember and feel the warm fuzzies everyday! Because Christmas is more than a season, it is a feeling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment